Saturday, May 01, 2010

Book Review, The Summer Guest, Justin Cronin

This book was recommended by my wife, H. The author is a Hemingway Award Winning author. The blurb on the back cover is effusive in its praise of the book, with several authors and reviewers giving praise. It is a multigenerational story, beginning with a patriarch on the battlefields of Italy, which we see in flashback.

It took me a while to get into the book, and based on the blurb, I was determined to get through it and get the payoff. The author certainly is skilled in describing the scenery, the emotions of the characters, and evoking an image of what life was like at each point in time. The characters are well drawn and easy to picture as well. Several times I had an "ah hah" moment where I could really identify with the person and their struggles.

The book is written in rotation between major characters - one chapter may be from Harry's point of view, another from Joe's, then Kate's, etc. At times I found this confusing. I also struggled with the flashbacks. After each flashback I could tell the author was revealing things at the same pace that the other characters were learning about them, but sometimes it seemed just a bit too contrived.

The characters also seemed a bit too - well, noble. Wouldn't real people complain a bit more? Hesitate? Prevaricate? It certainly was very clear that the characters learned and lived and loved just as you would expect. Equally clear is the author's command of the language, and admiration for the back woods of Maine. But I just didn't enjoy it.

There were several interesting historical points which reminded me of my own experience, such as the characters' comments on President Nixon, or the way the Vietnam War draft dodgers were woven into the story. I remember evening news reports about these things when I was growing up.

So, I'm going to categorize this one as "won't read again" and "might try another from this author".

The book is published by Bantam Dell, and runs 369 pages.

No comments: