Sunday, May 16, 2010

Book Review, Darwin's Children, Greg Bear

I had read several other Greg Bear short stories and one novel, "Blood Music" so I was somewhat familiar with his work. I was prepared for a liberal dose of science in the book. In addition, a friend had recommended "Darwin's Radio", the previous book in this story line. I never got around to reading it, and I think I even gave the book away.

I think I'll go back and read "Darwin's Radio", now that I've read this book, although it might be anti-climactic. The book "Darwin's Children" has real pathos, and as a parent myself, I could really relate to the strain that raising children puts on a marriage, as dramatized in the book.

Of course, there is a lot more to this book. It is science fiction, if you like your science fiction with a lot of science in light touches throughout the book, including the "e-paper" and of course the many biological concepts that are central to the story.

As an aside, I've always preferred science fiction books where the science makes the story possible - in other words, the science is integral to the story. I also prefer science fiction where the story lets you see how technology would alter society. I have seen that happen in real life as I have aged, and it is interesting to see what the author comes up with - to see where his or her thinking takes him, and what that might mean about their viewpoint.

I can see myself reading this again in a couple of years, so I'd call it a good book. It definitely required some concentration, so it might be iffy for travel, but it was engaging, and I didn't really get tired of reading it.

The book is published by Random House, and runs 380 pages.

No comments: