Saturday, August 16, 2008

Variable Star by Robert Heinlein and Spider Robinson

This novel has been written by Spider Robinson from an outline by Robert Heinlein.

When I sat down to read it I felt like it was going to be a special experience because I figured it would be the last new Heinlein novel I would ever read. The book cover describes it as a powerful and passionate tale of two young lovers driven apart by pride, power, and the vastness of interstellar time and space. It is that story as well as it is a novel.

To me, a novel is defined as a story in which the protagonist goes through a series of experiences which lead to personal growth or at least change. This story certainly qualifies as that. It also encompasses a lot of of by-the-way ideas, or ideas which at least seem as by-the-way ideas. I think this novel is different from Heinlein's novels in that some of the by-the-way ideas in Heinlein's other books seeem truly to be by-the-way ideas.

In Variable Star, these ideas and observations all seem to be essential to the story, even if you don't know it at the time. Even the small plot elements become important to the story later.

In the introduction and after note, Spider Robinson talks about how he came to know and enjoy Heinlein's books, and how he got to know Heinlein himself. It is interesting to me as a fan to know a little bit more of the background. I don't think I'll ever go to a convention, but I am interested in some of those human elements.

I would venture to say that this is a better book because Spider Robinson worked so hard on it to live up to his opinion of Heinlein.

It's in paperback from Tor, and is 339 pages. It is perhaps denser prose than other Heinlein books, so it read a little bit slower for me. But, I think that is because Spider put more into it, and made it more intricate. I really could relate to the main character, Joel, and feel for his emotions as he went. Spider also references 9-11-2001 and Star Wars. Those references alone are worth the read, and make this a uniquely post-Heinlein take on a Heinlein idea.

I would say this is the best book I've read in a long time.

No comments: