Monday, March 24, 2008

Book - The World Without Us

This book is by Alan Weisman. It took a few evenings to get through - probably four hours for me. It isn't hard to read, just so thought provoking that you have to pause now and then to think about the ramifications of what you've just read.

The book is filled with facts that I had not heard of elsewhere, such as the underground cities in Turkey, or that Norway is already using underground carbon sequestration, which is the subject of proposals for study here in the U.S. Others I knew about, but didn't realize how important an issue it was until I read this book.

There are several concepts I have learned over the years, that I was finally convinced were false, after reading this book. One was that the "first americans" or "native Americans" lived in harmony with nature, without intruding upon it. I certainly can see how it was a harmony, but it certainly was one of their own making. Even the great plains of our central west were a human artifact - a result of controlled burns to keep the plains open for buffalo and other game.

It is a remarkable book. I am glad I read it. I recommend it to any student of history, of man, or simply any eco-minded person.

No comments: