Monday, March 10, 2008

Book - Man's Search for Meaning

I finished this book last night. It is by Viktor Frankl, who is a psychiatrist and concentration camp survivor. The first part of the book is a recounting of some of his experiences in the Nazi concentration camps during World War II. It talks about the nature of suffering, and why some inmates in the camps were able to survive while others perished.

The second half of the book is a brief outline of logotherapy, a type of pyschotherapy, or school of thought within psychiatry.

The book itself took only a few hours to read, but I think its impact will be long felt. I found myself highlighting passages, just like I was in school again, and needing to remember certain passages for the test. In this case, the test is likely to be how well I utilize this material in my own life.

There are many possible quotations from the book, but here is one possible guiding principle for your life:

"Live as if you were living for the second time and had acted as wrongly the first time as you are about to act now."

I can truly say this is one of the most meaningful books I have read.

No comments: