Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

Heather, my wife, recommended this book after running across it at the bookstore. We happen to be thinking about a trip to Manila this summer, and so I read it in hopes of learning more about the history of the area, in particular the World War II history.

I figured it would be a dry history, and given that I'm not much interested in battle strategy and the like, I doubted I would finish it. Instead, I found it to be a real page turner, and a compelling read. I learned a lot about the war, and about the Filipino people. I was truly impressed by the suffering our soldiers went through, and the suffering of the Filipino people.

The author did a tremendous amount of research to make the story as accurate as possible. It's a thrilling book, and comes highly recommended. The only thing I can nit pick about the book is that I got a little confused by the setup in the beginning of the book. Just watch the dates on the sections when you read it. It's worth it to get that background - it makes the rest of the book even better.

The book left me wanting to visit the cemeteries and pay my respects when I'm in Manila this summer. It also left me wanting to read some of the other books about the period. A great read.

No comments: