Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Cross" By James Patterson

Heather told me "read something light!" so I read this book.

I was also in need of something to read on the flight back from San Francisco, and Heather had this along.

First, some nuts and bolts. The story is 377 pages long and available in paperback. It is the 12th book featuring "Alex Cross" as a character. The same author wrote "Kiss the Girls".

Heather asked me what I thought of the book, and my gut response was "it's a bit sparse". What I meant by that was that it didn't have a lot of flowery words or fancy vocabulary, which means it is pretty readable, and the action moves quickly.

The book is a thriller, a police story, a detective story, a murder mystery, and it appears to carry the Alex Cross character forward in a compelling way. The bad guy is truly bad, in a memorable way. The author also moves back and forth between the bad guy and our hero, so that sometimes you know things the good guy doesn't, which adds tension to the story. I would say that the book is competently written, but not real heavy. I don't think there were any obvious gaffes in the book, so I didn't have any moments where I wanted to put it down.

I would recommend it when you have time to fill, or need a break from something heavier.

No comments: