Saturday, September 25, 2010

Book Review - The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister

This is the first book I've read by Erica Bauermeister. Heather suggested it to me. (Heather is my wife, for those of you new to my blog.)

I REALLY enjoyed this book. It has a lot of cooking in it, as you might expect from the title. But, it has a lot of good stories about the individuals who attend the cooking school mentioned in the title. Some are sad, even tragic, most are uplifting in a way you didn't expect.

The chef who runs the school has an interesting life, and there is an element of mystery about her. The book is very engaging, and it is easy to read several chapters without noticing the time or anything else around you.

The story is told from multiple points of view - the students from the class each have their own story. The author weaves the stories together as the students attend class each week. I think only one of the stories has a flash back, but that one is not too hard to keep straight.

The book is strongly recommended.

No comments: